In 1936 Sandy Brunsell, a keen sailor and local boat-builder, together with a group of local identities (Les Kenny, postman; Keating Smith, timber merchant; Tom Moore, wood & coal merchant; Captain Barnsdale, ex Harbour-master; Morice Wiffen, boat-builder; Clarie Pickering, tomato grower and Ed Gridler, chemist) formed the Picton Sailing Club.
Captain Fell donated the bell hanging in the Clubrooms to QCYC. It is engraved "Ferriby 1913". The Ferriby, built in Gooley, was a minesweeper in the war and sunk after a collision with the Inter-Island Ferry "Wahini" at Evans Bay on 19th December 1942.